Saturday, December 13, 2008

Surgery Info

Hi friends,

Wanted to let you know that regarding Mom's liver surgery, she will be meeting with Dr. Horner (neurosurgeon) to get the "ok" to move forward on January 8th. If all goes well, she will be setting a date for surgery shortly after that (we hope) for the surgery which will remove half of her liver we are told. People are able to function with just half our liver, and it's the only organ that regrows itself!

Following the recovery of her liver surgery, Dr. Horner wants to give her some brain radiation. That would take place sometime in early spring we are thinking. So, there is still a road ahead, but God continues to be so good.

So right now we are in a "down" time. Two years ago when Mom found the initial melanoma on her leg, we were all in a panic. Then, post surgery we could relax and have some down time. Then, back to panic this summer when we found out that it had spread to her lymphnodes. Around October, we were finally able to feel the down time again as Mom started to get back to her "normal" self. Four weeks ago, we were again in a panic with the news that it had now spread to her brain and liver, and I wasn't sure I would ever be able to FEEL the calm of a down time again after that news.

But, Tuesday night I went over to my parent's house, and my mom was lying on the couch (where I've seen her a lot for the past 4 months). I was determined to not cry that day becasue I was so tired of crying, especially after the funeral weekend. But my mom, in only a way that a mother can, asked me why I was so quiet that night. I still held back the tears because I knew a dam was about to break (again), and then the TV had a tender mother-daughter scene (on The Biggest Loser, of all shows), and I lost it. My momreassuringly said, "Molly, I feel better about all of this than I have in a long time."

So, I thought, if she's feeling okay about everything right now and she just had brain surgery, than I need to trust and CHOOSE to be okay with where we are for now. And what better time to just enjoy where we are right now than the Christmas season? I praise God that our current "down time" gets to be during Christmas and New Years. What a gift to us after all the panic!

In my future down days, I will cling to the fresh and new meaning I have found and experienced in this very familiar verse:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petiton, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." --Philippians 4:6-7

Molly

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you so much Molly. Thanks for your honesty and your humble words. You continue to teach me more and more every day, with every posting, and I am so glad to call you my discipler. We love you and your family and can't wait to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Molly, thank you for sharing your heart. You have expressed much of what I am feeling in this roller coaster ride with Susie, and you have encouraged my weak faith to rely more in our loving Good Shepherd. I have an outpouring of love and awe for all the McCrackens as you face this time of Job.
I Thess.1:2-3

Katie (Umbaugh) Aschliman said...

Thank you for your faith lived out, and your honesty shared on your blog. I am continually with you and your family Molly.

Love,
katie

Sara Linville said...

Molly, you have such a beautiful heart and spirit. Thank you for sharing. I'm blessed and encouraged by you and your family's continued faith in the Lord. He is so good and faithful. Praying for you. I hope that you all have a blessed Christmas. I'm sorry I was unable to be at the funeral due to finals, but know you were in my thoughts and prayers throughout the day. I love you McCrackens!

Anonymous said...

Molly...and Scott...enjoy these days of "lull". When you are in a storm you just have to live each moment and try to not think about what may/may not be coming. Enjoy these days of Christmas...bake some cookies! and love the fact that most of the family will be together and the fact that you are enveloped with so much love of family, church, and friends. We do pray for you ALL regularly and hope that we continue to hear bits of good news!!