Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wisdom and The Next Treatment

Hi friends,

I want to first of all thank you for your continued support and concern for our family. It is humbling to know how many people are praying for us as a family and individually each day, how many people are bringing meals (which fed ALL of us over the holiday season as we enjoyed time together), and how many people continually check this blog for the latest updates and prayer requests. Thank you for being theBody of Christ so well.

I have a feeling God is going to be teaching me a lot in 2009. He teaches me a lot every year, but I just feel like this year may be deeper than the rest. It already has been actually in just the past 13 days. A common theme has come up in many circles of my life at once, and when that happens, you know God is trying to get your attention. The theme has been wisdom. It almost seems cliché because the word seems to be everywhere. But in our current family circumstance, God has shown me that I need not pray for direction – direction is just an answer to a specific question I may have for God (i.e. Where should I go to college? How much should I give to the church? Should I be part of this or that?) Asking for direction, I have realized, is rather limited. And I have been asking for direction lately – Show me what to do for Mom today…How can I not feel the despair that sometimes suddenly comes over me…What am I going to do if this situation doesn’t end the way I want it to?

But what God has been so tenderly leading me to discover recently is that instead of asking for direction in this, He wants me to ask Him for HIS Wisdom. James 1:5 tells me that “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” So basically God seems very eager to give us His wisdom whenever we ask for it, and he will give us lots of it. So why is wisdom better than direction? In asking for God’s wisdom, the Holy Spirit can literally give us a piece of God’s mind, His perspective. Paul reminds us in 1 Corinthians that “we (can) have the mind of Christ.” Asking for wisdom instead of direction will be a process within us and a deeper, eternal change of our character making us more like Him, rather than just a simple answer to our single question.

Proverbs Ch. 1-4 are full of truths about wisdom. Wisdom, or having the mind of Christ, is far more valuable than any earthly thing. What an odd perspective in our culture. But it is true in my heart. If this is what it takes to make me more like Christ, than I can truly count everything else as loss. I pray that through this trial, God will draw you and I unimaginably closer to Himself and generously give wisdom that we would have not otherwise found. Praise be to God!

Now an update on my mom: after a meeting with the oncologist this week, we have some wonderful news – no new growth in her brain!! Thank you, Lord!! This is the first positive news we’ve heard, and it has been reviving to our souls. For precautionary measures, she will be having brain radiation through the end of the week.

Unfortunately, they did discover that the spots on her liver have basically doubled. That is not the news we wanted to hear. They have decided to start a chemo-like treatment next week for three days (out patient). A few weeks later when her steroids have gotten out of her system, she will have the three day treatment again followed by a four day intense treatment in the hospital. They will continue to do the three day/four day treatments every three weeks or so for the next few months (we think she’ll be done in May). Surgery was not as good an option due to how aggressively the cancer has been spreading in her liver, so please join us in vigorously praying that this intravenous treatment will be strong enough to kill the cancer in her liver.

We feel your prayers…and the gentle, loving arms of our Father.

Molly

“I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten…you will have plenty to eat, until you are full, and you will praise the name of the Lord your God who has worked wonders for you.”
Joel 2:25,26

7 comments:

Kath said...

Molly, you write with the heart of a teacher! I think you have found your vocation, whether with children or fellow pilgrims on the way!

Here's a prayer-poem from one of my favorite writers, Walter Bruggemann:

Prayer of Illumination

Truth-telling, wind-blowing, life-giving spirit - we present ourselves now for our instruction and guidance; breath your truth among us, breathe your truth of deep Friday loss, your truth of awesome Sunday joy. Breathe your story of death and life that our story may be submitted yo your will for life. We pray in the name of Jesus risen to new life - and him crucified.

Betsy Paul said...

McCrackens,

We continue to pray for you all and seek a medical miracle for Susie!

Thanks for your blog site. It's great to be updated.

Betsy Paul

Rich said...

Thank you for sharing your heart and keeping us up to date.

and..."but he (or she) who asks must believe and not doubt because he (or she) who doubts is like a wave of the sea blown and tossed by the wind" (James 1:6 - right after asking for wisdom).

Praying for God to give His wisdom!
Rich

Jeri said...

We LOVE you! Your heart and soul laid bare before your God and savior is SO beautiful. Thank you for sharing so honestly for the world to see. In doing so, KNOW that you are ministering to others in the very midst of all that your family is bearing.

WE ARE PRAYING! GOD HEARS all of us crying out and lifting each one of you up! We're praying for peace, strength and sweet rest for all of you. Tell your momma that we are praying for her comfort and healing and joy. Tell her that we are praying, too, for a bounty of simple pleasures, that smells are sweeter, sunshine warmer and brighter...that food tastes wonderful and that there is some laughter in every day even as her body goes through the arduous process of killing this cancer. GOD is with you McCrackens! HE is there!

Praying with all our heart,
The Schantzes

andi said...

I know the news about the kidney is not whta you were hoping for, however with your strength and faith this cancer is up for quite the battle. Hang in there. we love you and think of you daily.

mediakath said...

The Genesis Class continues to be hopeful and prayerful for you all! God has a plan...somehow, someway, He has a plan...and we all wish we had a crystal ball to see it, but *sigh* we'll have to wait. Meanwhile, take each day as it is, one day at a time, and live it to its fullest.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Molly.. thank you for sharing your heart on this blog. This was such a wonderful reminder (God's wisdom) to me.. something I think I had forgotten for some time now.

I continue to pray for your Mom and your family as well.

xo